[Portaudio] PaGetStreamTime apparently always returns 0

Nicolas Castagne nicolas.castagne at imag.fr
Mon Dec 21 11:07:46 EST 2015

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your answers Ross and Alan.
Sorry I could not answer back sooner (almost 2 months w/o any answer from me !).

I confirm a "Pa_GetStreamTime() bug related to pulse audio" Ross, as you suggested.

Where and how should I fill a bug report ?

Basically :

-> On all our Linux machines, when using PulseAudio, Pa_GetStreamTime() returns an error (=> returns 0., as mentioned in PA documentation).
	Apparently, PulseAudio doesn't implement timestamps

-> Using an alsa device not based on Pulse fixes the issue

-> Uninstalling pulse audio fixes the pb on the default device (but of course triggers others)

Sorry I could dig further into the code...

Related posts on the pa mail list :
https://lists.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2015-October/000145.html
http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2011-June/012452.html

All the best,
Nicolas

Le 27 oct. 2015 à 22:04, Ross Bencina a écrit :

> On 28/10/2015 1:18 AM, Alan Horstmann wrote:
>> Pulseaudio may also cause problems!
>
> Seems like this has been discussed previously:
>
> http://music.columbia.edu/pipermail/portaudio/2011-June/012452.html
>
> I'm not sure whether there is a ticket, but there should be.
>
> TL;DR from above: PulseAudio doesn't implement timestamps, PortAudio currently returns zero.
>
> The PA/ALSA PaGetStreamTime() implementation looks a bit flaky, but I don't know enough about ALSA timestamps to make further comment.
>
> Most other APIs reference their timestamps from a system monotonic time base. I guess if ALSA devices have their own (internal?) time base then the PaGetStreamTime is somewhat correct although if the input and output timebase is different then there will be problems.
>
> Ross.

---

Manifestation ♯AST2015 | Art - Science - Technologie
CREATIVITE	 ARTISTIQUE - CREATIVITE TECHNOLOGIQUE
1 semaine de concerts, d’installations interactives, de films, de débats
40 créations mondiales par 33 artistes européens sur 9 lieux

14-21 novembre 2015, Grenoble
http://ast2015.acroe-ica.org/fr

---
Nicolas Castagné

Maître de Conférences
Grenoble INP / Phelma / Laboratoire Ingénierie de la Création Artistique
HdR EDISCE

ICA, Grenoble INP, 46 av. Félix Viallet 38000 Grenoble
Grenoble INP - Phelma 3 Parvis Louis Néel BP257 38016 GRENOBLE Cedex 1
Tel (ICA) : (+33) 4 76 57 49 08
Email : nicolas.castagne at imag.fr