[Portaudio] Multiple input devices with the same name

Gale Andrews windinthew at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 12:51:00 EST 2015

On OS X I believe it is the same in Audacity (which uses PortAudio) and
GarageBand (which doesn't) - so I think it is an OS X limitation, not
a PortAudio
limitation.

An app will also only be able to access one device if both devices are
different but share the same name (such as "USB Audio CODEC"). However
in that case you can aggregate the device into one in Audio MIDI Setup
whereas you can't if the devices are identical.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/169335/two-identical-usb-microphones-at-once-is-it-possible

Gale Andrews