[Portaudio] Unicode conversion issues WDMKS/WASAPI: Fix and Question

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Mon Dec 12 21:16:29 EST 2016

Hi Volker,

Answer to your question below. I am answering with regard to the working
code. I agree that something like your patch is needed for the broken
host APIs.

On 2/12/2016 2:34 AM, Volker Bijewitz wrote:
> My question: what is the reason for using  CP_UTF8 if UNICODE is
> defined?

To provide support for unicode device names, which exist (e.g. usually
things like "Microphone" and "Speakers" are localised and may contain
unicode characters.)

> From my understanding it would garble foreign special
> characters anyway, if it is build with unicode charset or not.

This doesn't seem to be the case. At least when building with UNICODE,
the characters come out correctly (it has been tested by various people).

> What do I miss at this point?

I think it's fair to ask: "Why is CP_UTF8 not always used?". That I
don't know but it was probably intended for compatibility when building
for non-UNICODE OS (which is barely supported now anyway).

In any case, we decided a while back that all strings should be UTF-8 or
the ASCII subset.

Ross.