[Portaudio] Allow tweaking PA callback thread scheduler and priority

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 14:02:01 EDT 2016

Hi Markus,

Thanks for posting your changes.  It is probably me that needs to pick this
up, though I am not expert in thread scheduling and priorities.  So I've done
a little background reading...

On Saturday 19 March 2016 17:15, Markus Svilans wrote:
> Recently I was working on an embedded Linux project, with several
> threads at various SCHED_RR and SCHED_FIFO priorities. I found that the
> PortAudio stream was getting interrupted with overflows and underflows
> now and then, because PA callback thread was getting pre-empted by other
> threads. The default PortAudio real-time scheduling was being set to
> SCHED_FIFO at a priority of 1.
>
> To work around the issue, I changed the PortAudio callback thread to use
> the SCHED_RR scheduler and the highest priority. Now the audio stream
> does not get interrupted. The attached patch shows what I did. It is
> based on code from PortAudio SVN rev 1919

From my limited reading, I would have thought SCHED_FIFO would have been
correct, but indeed the priority of 1 does look rather low, and the comment:

"/* Priority should only matter between contending FIFO threads? */"

looks bogus?  IIUC priority is the primary selector, and policy only
influences the choice between threads of equal priority?  SCHED_RR would mean
that thread gets a limited time-chunk whereas _FIFO means it will be always
allowed to complete (once it gets a turn)?

> With the patch, you can control the callback thread scheduler and
> priority using two #defines:
> PA_RT_SCHED
> PA_RT_PRIORITY
>
> I set the defaults to SCHED_RR and sched_get_priority_max(SCHED_RR),
> respectively.

Did you try simply:

spm.sched_priority = sched_get_priority_max(SCHED_FIFO);

as I would have expected that to be equally, or more, effective?

Maybe 'PaAlsa_EnableRealtimeScheduling()' should interpret the value given as
a rough 0-9 priority setting rather than just an 'int-bool'?  With '9'
setting _priority_max() and the other values scaled approximately, but it's
just a quick idea.

Regards

Alan