[Portaudio] ASIO unwanted loopback when channelCount = 1

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Tue Aug 1 23:34:11 EDT 2017

On 1/08/2017 11:27 PM, Bryan Rambo wrote:
> Is this the expected way for PA to handle channels on the host sound
> device that aren't currently being used for the stream?

Hi Bryan,

For PortAudio as a whole, I don't recall that there's a particular
expected behavior in this case. (Maybe someone else remembers
differently?) I'm not even sure whether it makes sense to be consistent
across all host APIs (for at least two reasons: (1) often we'd sent mono
to the native API and let it deal with it, (2) for a consumer API it
would make sense to fan out mono to L,R, whereas for a pro API it
probably wouldn't).

That said, loop-back on unused channels would rank pretty low on my
personal list of expected behaviors! so it might be a bug or oversight
in PA/ASIO. If it were a bug, and someone decided to fix it, because of
the nature of ASIO as a pro-audio I/O interface, I would expect mono-in,
mono-out to address only the first channel. On the other hand, I'm
pretty sure that other native APIs will output a mono buffer to both L
and R.

The upshot is: if you want a specific behavior, I recommend opening
2-channel devices as stereo and implementing your own desired behavior.

Regarding a possible bug: Is the behavior present on all
soundcards/drivers that you've tested, or only some?

Thanks,

Ross.