[Portaudio] Read audio data output from sound card

sqweek sqweek at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 10:34:03 EDT 2017

On 08/08/2017 10:22 pm, "Alberto di Bene" <dibene at usa.net> wrote:

On 8/8/2017 4:01 PM, Prabhakar Ranjan wrote:

I am looking for some *cross platform audio API* which will allow me to get
the audio buffer

The keywords here are those underlined... As far as I know, there are no
cross platform APIs
to do what you want... how to get the audio buffers IMHO is highly
platform-dependent...

Not only is it platform dependent, afaik whether it is even possible to
achieve *well* is driver dependent. On Windows, it used to be the case that
every driver advertised a "stereo mix" device which could be used to read
the data going to the speakers, but since about the XP days this
functionality has become rare in consumer level sound card drivers. There
are workarounds but the ones I tried had significant latency...

-sqweek