[Portaudio] pa_linux_alsa.c:3636 Assertion failed (with hack fix)

Alan Horstmann gineera at aspect135.co.uk
Sun Nov 4 10:53:44 EST 2018

Hi Ross & others,

Thanks for casting an eye over this, and you are right the handling is not
quite correct.

Having looked over at it again, where lower level errors are considered to be
due to an Xrun, this is not treated as paUnanticipatedHostError at the next
level up, but rather as a recoverable situation.  So I have amended the patch
along these lines, not setting an error in the higher function, but still
exiting early and triggering recovery.

As for earlier discussion about return types, it is somewhat a matter of
style, but the PaAlsaStreamComponent_BeginPolling() function is very short
(probably inlined by the compiler) and PaError is not really appropriate.  By
returning the actual Alsa error code there is the potential if needed to
respond differently to different Alsa errors (although my understanding ATM
is that recovery action is the appropriate response for all).

So, here is a version-3 patch - a retest would be appreciated!

Regards

Alan